Jan. 5, 1917
Madison County Democrat — The following officers of the First Baptist Church, West Jefferson, Sunday School were elected on Sunday for the ensuing year: Superintendent, Mr. Jenkins; Assistant Superintendent, Mr. Harris; secretary, Linnie Reardon; assistant secretary, Eva Cartwrithe; treasurer, Anna Reason; pianist, Don Booth; assistant pianist, Mrs. Timmons; librarians, Pearl Betts, Walter Gamble and Clifford Harris; chorister, Rev. Cush.
• The Domestic Science Club was entertained Dec. 28 by Mrs Eugene Stuckey and Mrs. Frank Chandler at the home of Mrs. Eugene Stuckey. Instead of the usual program the members and visitors were entertained with contests and plum pudding. Each one present received a gift. A dainty luncheon was served. The next meeting will be Jan. 11 with Mrs. J. M. Martin as hostess.
• Miss Lucile Pence (Mrs. Charles Miller) who is attending college at Granville is home to spend the holiday vacation. (Lucile was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Pence. In 1956 Mr. Pence purchased an organ for the First Baptist Church of West Jefferson.)
• Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hardin and daughter, Janet, of Columbus, spent New Year’s with the latter’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Martin. (Jacob Martin was mayor of West Jefferson 1904-05.)
• Revival meetings are being held at the First Baptist Church, West Jeff, conducted by Rev. Cush assisted by Rev. Crabtree of the Big Darby Baptist Church.
The Madison Press — April 26, 1956 — PFC Charlie M. Miller, former resident of West Jefferson, has been transferred from Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo., to the Engineer School in Ft. Belvoir, Va. After finishing school he will return to his original unit the 520th Engineer Field Maintenance Company at Ft. Leonard Wood. His present address is PFC Charlie M. Miller, RA 15530745 Co. F, TECR 9828 T.U., Ft. Belvoir, Va.
• Rev. Melvin Oehrtman of the Lutheran Church and Rev. Robert Meredith of the Methodist Church, West Jefferson, met with the Jefferson Local School Board to discuss the possibility of released time for a religious education program. Mr. Malvern Reuter, a lay member of the Lutheran Church, was also present.
• The Guys and Dolls Euchre Club was entertained at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Carroll Rice, Mill Street, Saturday evening, April 21. Those present were: Mr. and Mrs. Gene Fertig of Alton, Mr. and Mrs. Pat Myers of Hilliard, Mr. and Mrs. Gene White, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Parsons, Mr. and Mrs. Perry Rice of West Jefferson. Those winning prizes were: Gene Fertig, Lillian Rice and Carroll Rice.
• The West Jefferson O.E.S. Chapter 49 will have an annual inspection at the Masonic Temple on April 27 at 8 p.m. It will be preceded by a banquet at the Methodist Church at 6:30 o’clock served by one of the Circles of the W.S.C.S.
Charlie Miller is the former mayor of West Jefferson and local historian. He has been writing West Jefferson 100 years ago off and on since 1976. He can be reached at [email protected]