May 4, 1917
Madison County Democrat — The members of the senior class went to Columbus last Wednesday and had their pictures taken. (This picture is now on display at the high school.)
• Mrs. William Harris, Mrs. Morris Hedrick, Rev. Cush, H. S. Wilson, Miss Elva Orders and Mrs. Anna L. Lambert, attended the Sunday school convention at London on Friday.
• The members of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union, West Jefferson, will hold their May meeting at the home of Mrs. Cora McCoy on Middle Pike.
• Mars, the god of battle, has been quite busy around London the past few days. The reports from the mayor’s office five men who engaged in an all around rough and tumble on Main Street Saturday evening were introduced to the mayor by officers Marshal Murphy and Gallagher. They contributed $10 and cost each to the public treasury. One arrest for bootlegging is expected to uncover several other similar cases. A man and woman were brought in from the Madison County Fairgrounds where they had been engaged in troubles of a flighty nature. One other man who was fighting a women on Ohio Avenue paid $5 and cost, a total of $11.10.
The Madison Press — June 30, 1956 — The members of the Alpha Gradale Sorority met at the home of Mrs. Merrill Howard, Middle Pike, Wednesday evening. They enjoyed a social time and wiener roast. Those present were: Mesdames Ben Timmons, Eugene Keel, Robert Mowery, Donald Garver, Robert Thomas, Edward Larie, Earl Lithchfield, William Comer, Robert Horton and Mrs. Leonard Kutasy who was assistant hostess with Mrs. Howard.
• The Guys and Dolls Euchre Club was entertained Saturday evening at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Gene Fertia in Alton. Present were: Mrs. Gene White, Mr. and Mrs. Perry Rice, Mr. and Mrs. Carroll Rice, Mr. and Mrs. Byron Johnson and Mr. and Mrs. Pat Myers.
• The American Legion Post No. 201, West Jefferson, and the Volunteer Fire Department are planning a Fourth of July evening entertainment at 8 o’clock at the recreation park. It will be the first Independence Day program of this kind held in West Jefferson for many years. There will be fireworks and band music. Everyone is invited to attend.
• Circle IV of the Methodist Woman’s Society of Christian Service met at the home of Mrs. Martha Kile, Wednesday evening. Mrs. Kile and Mrs. Helen Phillips are the co-chairmen of this Circle. Mrs. Kile presided. For the program there were short readings by Mrs. Libby Rector, Helen Phillips, Sylvia Sells, Edith Bradfield, Martha Kile and May Purviance. Light refreshments were served by Mrs. Kile.
Charlie Miller is the former mayor of West Jefferson and local historian. He has been writing West Jefferson 100 years ago off and on since 1976. He can be reached at [email protected]