While she may have been denied in one species, Alyson Petee, 13, won Showman of Showmen in another, swine.
Petee competes in multiple animal species as do many boys and girls at the Madison County Fair. Petee has shown since her age was in single digits and was last year’s showman of showmen in equine. Bested by a nose in that category, Petee compensated by “hogging” the big trophy in swine this year.
Her family has shown horses and swine throughout the years. Earlier this summer, she traveled to Iowa to show swine in “World Pork,” a multi-nation show. She placed in the top 10 out of 1,000 swine.
She knows what she’s doing.
The Green Range 4-H Club member also won some big awards: Grand Champion Purebred Gilt, Grand Champion Purebred Breeding Gilt, Reserve Champion Overall Breeding Gilt.
The Madison-Plains eighth grader has learned at an early age how to manage her time and take on responsibility.
Show chair Anna Henry said with more than 260 entries, the swine show was about the same size as it was in 2015. But the swine group chose not to hog the Eby Arena and put their entire show on in one day to allow other species to use the new arena.
Show judge was Brett Vickery of Indiana. He was generally complimentary to all contestants, but took time to point out the extra attention to the animal that placed Petee and others in the showmanship class age groups what it took to come out on top.
Other winners in the swine barn included:
• Ryan Peterman, 14, of London and Crazy for Clovers 4-H Club, Grand Champion Market Barrow, Grand Overall Champion Market Hog
• Justin Howard, 17, of London and London FFA, Grand Champion Purebred Market Barrow
• Haylee Henry, 15, of Madison-Plains FFA and Speedy Spurs, Grand Champion Market Gilt, Reserve Champion Overall Market Hog
• Jacob Petee, 16 of Madison-Plains FFA and Green Range 4-H Club, Overall Grand Champion Breeding Gilt, Grand Champion Crossbred Gilt
• Trent Hart, 16, of London High School FFA, Reserve Grand Champion Purebred Breeding Gilt
Dean Shipley can be reached at 740-852-1616, ext. 1617, on Facebook at Dean Shipley or via Twitter @DeanAShipley.