Sept. 4, 1914
Madison County Democrat — Mrs. A. F. Rice and Mrs. Finis High attended the Mad River Baptist Association on Aug. 26, Aug. 27 and Aug. 28 held at West Mansfield.
— Miss Dorothy McWilliams, of Brown Township, is the guest of her grandparents, Mrs. and Mrs. W. W. Lewis. (Wallace W. Lewis was mayor of West Jefferson in 1881. He was born in 1843 the son of George Lewis, one of the original settlers of New Hampton. Wallace Lewis taught a few years before enlisting in Co. K, Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was wounded in Georgia and had his right leg amputated by a rebel surgeon. He spent 11 months in a rebel prison. He died in 1918.)
— Remote as seems the possibility of a German invasion of England, preparations for such a contingency are proceeding. Every young man in the country is doing something to safeguard the nation. Those not already in the Army or preparing to enlist are performing civil duties. Virtually every motorcyclist gives part of his time to the national service. Coast defenses are becoming stronger every day against attack from the sea or air. (Germany later bombed London from their Zeppelin Dirigibles.) Nor do the women folk confine themselves to sewing shirts, knitting socks, making bandages and attending the wounded. Mrs. Haverfield, the wife of a British officer, is forming women’s volunteer corps for defense. The members of the corps are drilling, rifle shooting and route marching.
The Madison Press, Oct. 14, 1954 — Thursday, Oct. 7, marked the 52nd anniversary of the founding of the Domestic Science Club of West Jefferson. The meeting was held at the home of Mrs. James Timmons. The chairman’s gavel was presented by Mrs. Edward Sidner to the incoming president, Mrs. Robert Richards. A very interesting paper was read by Mrs. Charles Philips on “Pioneer Women of Ohio.” The list included such names as Mrs. Lucas Sullivant, Lucinda Burnham, widow of Thomas Jones who founded the first school in 1823 where Pleasant Hill Cemetery now stands. Nancy Bradfield Smart provided two musical interludes in her charming and individualistic style.
— Mrs. Charles Truitt and Miss Flora Truitt were hostesses to the West Jefferson Women’s Christian Temperance Union on Sept. 21 with 16 members present. The retiring president, Mrs. Jane Braithwaite, conducted the meeting. In closing the business of the Year 1953-1954, the treasurer, Mrs. Ruth Campbell reported that after all bills were paid there was a balance of $64.13 in the treasury.
— Enrolled for the 1954-55 term at Muskingum College is Sara Kile, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. J. C. Kile of West Jefferson. Muskingum College in its 118th year and is under the sponsorship of the United Presbyterian Church. Total enrollment of the college is 786.
Charlie Miller is the former mayor of West Jefferson and local historian. He has been writing West Jefferson 100 years ago off and on since 1976. He can be reached at Charlie_m_miller@yahoo.com.