Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. AS CONVENTION WRAPS, DEMOCRATS GIRD FOR TIGHT CONTEST
Even as Clinton and her supporters argue Trump is unqualified for the Oval Office, they recognize the businessman connects with some voters in a way she does not.
2. CLINTON’S HISTORIC NOMINATION CAUSES LITTLE STIR OUTSIDE US
After all, dozens of female leaders have served across Europe, Africa, Asia, South America and Australia.
3. POPE’S MASS IN POLAND DRAWS HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS
Francis, visiting Eastern Europe for the first time, praises countless “ordinary yet remarkable people” who held firm to their Catholic faith throughout adversity in the former Communist-ruled nation.
4. WHAT’S CAUSING JITTERS IN ADVANCE OF RIO GAMES
If there’s ever a headache for anti-terror forces, it’s the Olympics — and Brazil has almost no experience combatting terrorism.
5. NO RETRIAL FOR MAN CONVICTED IN CHANDRA LEVY SLAYING
Prosecutors say they can no longer prove their case in the 15-year-old killing of the Washington intern who was romantically linked with former congressman Gary Condit.
6. WHY RESIDENTS OF BATTLE-TORN ALEPPO SAY THEY’RE STAYING PUT
Many are rejecting an offer of corridors to leave the besieged Syrian city, saying they can’t trust the Assad regime’s promises.
7. EXPERTS TRY TO EXPLAIN SURGE IN MASS KILLINGS ACROSS GLOBE
One syndrome that could be surfacing is contagion, in which one attack rapidly inspires imitation attacks.
8. $536M MEGA MILLIONS JACKPOT CLAIMED
Someone has come forward in Indiana with the winning ticket for this month’s huge jackpot, officials say, but no details have emerged about the winner.
9. WHICH UNDERWATER CREATURE’S EXISTENCE HAS BEEN CONFIRMED
Scientists say genetic tests show that a mysterious, unnamed species of beaked whale only rarely seen alive by Japanese fishermen does indeed roam the northern Pacific.
10. COLLEGE FOOTBALL ABANDONS PLAN TO HOLD PLAYOFFS ON NEW YEAR’S EVE
The move, prompted by tumbling TV ratings, ensures the semifinal games will now be played either on a weekend or a holiday.